29 December 2011

resolution time!

I guess I missed the memo about how only losers make new years resolutions...

For the past week, I've seen posts on Twitter and Facebook about how lame it is to want to make changes in 2012. They all come from people who post inspirational/motivational nonsense all year, so I find it a little weird that they are now saying that people who choose a specific date as the catalyst for change are losers. I get what they are saying: If you really want to make a change there is no point in waiting... but if you aren't ready for that type of immediacy then picking the start of a new year is perhaps the least arbitrary thing to do. (Second least arbitrary date: your birthday.)

I think making resolutions for the new year is healthy and fun and something that you should do if you want to... so I am! (No shaming me, folks!) Since I kinda love who I am on the inside and I already have a gym membership so take care of the outside, mine are more goals than resolutions. Ok, here goes...

  1. Actually use my gym membership. Right now we're on a bi-weekly plan, so anything above that would be considered a success. 
  2. Finalize my dissertation topic and have my proposal written. This is a tall order since I'm not even a candidate yet, but I don't want to be in school forever, so I have to get on it. 
  3. Have my proposal accepted. This has very little to do with me, but hopefully my advisors will like it!
  4. Pay off the credit card that doesn't have rewards points, then replace it with one that does. Pretty self explanatory, no?
  5. Find a source of income that will allow me to pay off that credit card. Being a doc student means I can't get a real job, but I'll find a way... 
  6. Create a better school/life balance. I haven't partied (like, really partied) since my birthday. In October. This has to change.  
  7. Don't stress. It's not worth it. Finals reminded me that I don't handle stress well, so avoiding that would be best for me and everyone else in my life.
  8. Have ZERO gluten attacks. 
  9. Take a real vacation that isn't motivated by a conference or a family reunion. 
  10. Drop a mix tape. (Not really, I've just always wanted to say that!)
So that's pretty much it. I will probably add more or revise these once 2012 actually gets going. That's usually the way this thing goes, which is why I usually reach all of my goals. 2011 wasn't the greatest year in the world, but it is ending well. Here's to hoping that 2012 only gets better!



xo,
Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment