13 August 2012

[pic post]

I'm working on my doctoral candidacy paper right now, so the posts have trickled to a halt. Sorry! My brain is otherwise occupied with ways that school counselors can become leaders for multicultural education. Buuut I found this cartoon on this Tumblr and I had to share it.





Quick and dirty explanation: American education "reformers" always look to European countries (especially Finland) for ways to improve our system, but don't take into consideration the fact that they have a philosophical difference underlying the value of education to their societies. Even though the focus of this cartoon is higher education, the ideas are the same for K-12. Our politicians see it as a privilege; their politicians see it as a right. Our politicians see it as a 'big government' expenditure; their politicians see it as a crucial investment in the future. I have said it before and I'll say it again: If we really want to improve the system, it'll take way more than just testing and evaluation.  

Ok, I have written all that I can. I'll post more once I get my brain back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment